****WARNING**** This entry may not be suitable for all readers!!!! Not that there's anything foul about it, rather it's well......you'll see.......
I've been slow to make my first post of the new year and it's because I've been slow to wrap my head around the fact that it's ACTUALLY 2007!! I have to admit, I didn't wake up Jan. 1 with a sense of vigor or the feeling of a refreshing start. I think it was due to the holiday hangover I was experiencing (and no, it wasn't from alcohol from any out of control celebrating the night before). It's hard for me to come to grips with the fact that.....it's all over :(. All the planning, all the music, all the FOOD, being surrounded by family, all the presents, and sharing in the excitment of it all with my kids! It's like a month long party! Then, 'poof', you wake up one morning and it's all gone.
In an effort to overcome this, I started thinking ahead to the new year and what I wanted to accomplish, or where I think we're headed. (Hopefully no moves this year!). Nothing really came to me on Day 1. And then the damn Michigan Wolverines went and messed up the Rose Bowl and that was it, I was done! NO amount of positive thinking was going to pull me out of this slump, especially at 8:30pm. That's when I decided I wasn't ready for the new year....it would take one more sleep!
Jan 2. - reality sets in.....Drew goes back to work, the kids and I go off to pick up Gonzo from his party time at the Doggie Motel, and.......I'm feeling refreshed! I proceed through the day with much productivity, gettin' the house back in shape since the holiday tornado that whipped through here. Popped open one of Andrew and Ian's Christmas gifts, Sponge Bob Lego, and put in some good mommy time helping them construct it. Definitely a good start to the new year since I always feel guilty about not spending enough quality time with my kids. That bought me some alone time on the computer later in the afternoon and that's when I came across my brother's blog and learned a whole lot about myself...........
I was shocked by my reaction in discovering Rob's recap of 2006.......what a great idea! It never occured to me that the start of a new year isn't just about looking ahead, it's an ideal time to reflect back! That's when it hit me, I think I'm always so focused on pushing on ward, forging ahead, that I rarely, if ever, stop to take the time to enjoy the past. Honestly, it's almost like, who has time to go back and review when life just keeps on going and you have to keep up! I know I'm a very driven person, but I think I have to admit, FOR THE FIRST TIME, that maybe I get stuck in overdrive a lot of the time.
So here goes, I'm taking pause, giving myself the opportunity to shift to neutral and taking the time to RECAP 2006:
Part I - the Sarnia months:
- the year started out with us still dealing with commuting between Sarnia and Huntsville. Drew was dealing with the driving, I was dealing with single parenting! This would go on for another five months, until May 15.
- in February we lost a furry member of our family: Maggie. She was 11 years old. Putting her down was probably the hardest thing I've ever experienced in my life.
- in March, Andrew played in his first ever hockey tournament! What a riot! Andrew was a very outspoken player on his team (who knows where he gets that from :) sometimes more concerned with getting the bench to cheer than where the puck was!
- also in March, after a second spin of the house hunting wheel, we found our new home in Huntsville.
- April = Florida, my parents and the boys flew down ahead of me, leaving Drew and I with a week alone!! YEAH! It was mostly spent packing since immediately upon returning from my turn in Orange Lake, the boys and I would be joining Drew up north. But it was also spent enjoying my last few days in Sarnia; a cooking class at Zehr's with Tammy and some of the girls, one last dinner downtown at 216 North Bistro, and capped off by a surprise goodbye party with many of my Sarnia pals, and even a Michigan one too :)
Part II - the Huntsville months
- May 14 - fly home from Florida, meet up with Drew in Toronto for dinner since he's on his way back up to work, and the boys and I drive to Sarnia for one last night (oh, and it's Mother's Day!).
- May 15 - we take possession! Me and the boys, and Gonzo, and Fozzie, all trek north to meet up with Drew, his parents and his godmother, at our new house!
- May 17 - Andrew starts at his new school, Riverside. The rest of the month is spent settling in with our folding lawn chairs and mattresses on the floor!
- in June, Drew and I took off for Las Vegas; he enjoyed another 'meeting' with his LVI cult and I enjoyed some R&R.
- June = HOPE Volleyball tourney on the Island! Another fantastic event, even if we sucked! I love that this has become a regularly scheduled program in my life, since it's a great time to catch up with brother's friends (who I believe may have, over time, now become my friends too!) and just a picture perfect way to spend a summer day with no kids!
- the summer was spent exploring our new town; swim lessons at Centennial, Mad Science and Safari Jeff provided by the local library, trips to Hutchenson beach, soccer games with the black flies, and few rounds of daddy/son golf.
- July 22, the truck arrives with all our stuff! We couldn't stand it any longer and finally decided to empty the Sarnia house, sold or not.
- other events throughout the summer included: the ANNUAL Girls Weekend with Kris in T.O., Grandma Ruth's "90th", a trip back to the 'hood in Michigan, Nana & Grampy's 65th anniversary (worth noting even though we had to bail out), the Zalupski's first tour of Huntsville, a visit from Sir Ashley from LVI, a weekend in Kingston, Gordon's "60th", 2 fundraising garage sales for our breast cancer walk (along with a few days spent outside the LCBO), Andrew's trip with Gramma & Granddad (a Mham family tradition), AND the selling of our Sarnia home on Aug. 16 (to the guy who actually first walked through back in Nov. 2005 - jackass!)!!! (Phew, no wonder the summer flies by!)
- then came September! : I took part in my first Weekend to End Breast Cancer 60km walk (Drew's 3rd) -- an incredible experience both physically and emotionally. I highly recommend everyone do it at least once in their lifetime, seriously! (Even if you do lose your big toe nails 2 months later).
- And almost as a reward for that came our Disney Cruise with Craig and Chaundra, Kirsten and Becca. Trip of a lifetime! It's almost painful looking back at the pics, since I would give anything to be back in that bubble again. It didn't suck :)
- our 'baby' also started Jr. Kindergarten in 2006! As a very young JK, Ian faced some challenges that required more "training", but overall he took to the school routine like a kid to fruit snacks (or hotdogs, take your pick!).
- also with the start of Fall came a new season of hockey for Andrew, skating lessons for Ian (just a bit too little for hockey still), as well as having Andrew join the local swim club and starting bagpipe lessons (Drew's idea!).
- Thanksgiving was a family affair this year, with the Esons making a landing here in Huntsville, some for their first visit. I will never forget the outstanding weather we had that weekend. Bocce ball anyone?
- later in October, my niece turned ONE! Backyardigans being all the rage, Lilo celebrated in style (and so did Ian, who turned 4 on Nov. 26 - see pic at top of this post. This would also be a good time to mention that I really do have the best in-laws in the world!)
- November included a visit from some Michiganders, Jen and her son Chase, a brutal loss by UofM against Ohio State, our first curling bonspeil, and our first Santa Claus parade in Huntsville.
- also, after only three short months, Andrew is done with grade one! After meeting with his teacher and the principal, we all agreed that he was ready to skip to grade 2. Kinda crazy to contemplate how this could/will affect the rest of his life, but we couldn't deny him the opportunity.
- And finally, December.......as fate would have it, I was lucky enough to make it to Kris' annual cookie exchange party in the Preserve, keepin' the streak alive at 6 years! Bittersweet visit with many of my former gal pals, but I love that I had at least some time rather than none. This was followed by another trip to Las Vegas for Drew and I, only this time I actively participated in the LVI dental course (even got me a certificate!).
- Upon returning home, big changes came about, as the decision was made to have me start working in Drew's office! Who ever woulda thunk it! Me, working again, and in a dental office of all places. I love it! (And I know Drew does too!) Not exactly the most ideal time to start working, with Christmas only two and a half weeks away, but hey, we did it.
- and the final week of 2006, was a blur of overindulgence and spoiling over the course of two Christmases, first with Esons, then Mhams. What a way to go out!
On top of all this, 2006 will always be remembered for 365 days without fries! No not me, you crazy nuts, for Drew, which I guess is an even nuttier thought! As he would say, "Can't you tell?" But seriously, he really did it, a whole year, not ONE fry. Not even when the House of Blues in Las Vegas refused to substitue his fries for salad with his shrimp po-boy sandwich, and brought them out on the plate anyway! Not even when his kids couldn't finish their numerous dinners and several fries were left over. So why you ask? Not a health thing, just a 'to see if I can' thing. Pretty cool, looking back now, to be able to say, "yeah I did it!". Something to add to the story books.
Wow, I'm really good at this recap thing!!! Think I might have to reconsider not sending out one of those Christmas card letters and finally do it next year :) Hey, can't say I didn't warn you! Well how 'bout this, it was more for me than you, so there! I was also told when I started this blogging stuff that it can act as a journal and so journal I did. All there for safe keeping for years to come. And, I took some time out to stop and smell the roses, instead of just plowing ahead. What a great year! The best part is that now, I finally feel ready to take on the new year. Don't worry, I'll save my resolutions and aspirations for 2007 for another post!
1 comment:
Great year. And yes, let's try to make it through an entire year of owning only one house at a time...
Post a Comment